Monday, March 03, 2008

Celebrating dad's birthday...

My dad's birthday was this past Sunday but my sister wanted to celebrate it on Saturday. Unfortunately for me, I had a client session on Saturday. However, that changed when the drab weather took San Diego hostage for a day. This became a blessing in disguise as it allowed me to reschedule the shoot for the day after.

Julie and I drove up to Victoria Garden in Rancho Cucamonga to join the family for dinner at a Japanese Yakiniku 焼き肉 restuarant call Gyu-Kaku. Yakiniku is basically Japanese BBQ with roots from the more well known Korean BBQ as it was Korean immigrants that are thought to have originated the dish in Japan during the Kansai period. The Japanese took it one step further and melded the philosophy of sushi to create a type of BBQ where the meat are prepared in bite size pieces and arrange very nicely on a platter as it is brought to your table.

261478794_3a7fc


261478824_afALz


The other cool thing about Gyu-Kaku is that they have special imported smokeless Japanese brazier that pulls the smoke back down through the grill so that you can dine in a relatively smokeless environment. Cool invention, but booo I don't get to enjoy the smell of my meal 2hrs later. ;) Gyu-Kaku also uses oak briscuits in their grill to impart the beautiful woody smell and flavor that I feel is important in all properly BBQ meats.261478924_9F82E


Some Salmon and other meats on the grill. Makes me hungry again!261478812_ZeXbn


My dad was sick, so he was doing his best not to get Terrence sick too. But Terrence loves his grandpa so he's always reaching for him.261478958_QUSA5


Here's Terrence handling his grandpa his present and card he personally scribbled in.261503602_RjdQh


261478870_vWCgh


Julie was showing Terrence how to "Aahhh" and bow to show respect. My dad feeling the love pulled out his wallet to give some money back to Terrence. My sisters in unison mimick Terrence to get they share of the love. My dad humored them and rewards them each with cash as well. This is Susan half surprise and embarrassed. 261478896_pe9vr


261478887_BkkRH


261503611_XhV8p




The meal was so great and the service at the table was superb. I like the sauces they had and everything was seasoned just right. Nancy fell in love with beef tongue and even Susan gave it a try and like it.

We can't part way without someone giving Terrence's cheek a healthy squeeze.261478940_mBxVb


261478910_WGydp

No comments: