Thursday, January 03, 2008

Good news...

Our friend Jessica called Julie last night and said that she's getting her labor contraction and was wondering if it's time to go to the hospital. If you guys don't know Jessica, she was Julie's maid of honor when we got married. Her husband Mike also talked to Julie while driving home from work but was wondering if he could work late as he had some stuff he needed to take care of. Julie was adamant that this is no joke and he needs to come home right away. Hahaha...I remember that feeling. For us first time dads, when the day actually arrives, it feels a little surreal. We are a bit removed from the actual feeling and pains of child birth so without being in the hospital with the doctors and nurses around, it takes us a while to finally realize that the day we have been waiting for is finally here.

Julie and I can't wait to hear the news whether Mike and Jessica's baby girl has been deliver overnight or whether she is late yet again. (I'll get back to what I mean by my "late again") As some of my friends who had kids of their own may know and can probably relate... when you go in for an ultra sound, the tech can approximate when the child is due based on your last menstrual cycle, length of the baby, etc. I think when the preggo mom first hears that, it's all about warm and fuzzy thoughts of the date when you get to meet you little one and hold him or her. But I think the week or two before the due date, all moms are more liken to feel very big, bloated, heavy, miserable and simply wants the beast inside them to come out as soon as possible. (The closest us guys can come to this is when we over ate on Thanksgiving) LOL!!!

I remember when Julie was near her due date. She was starting to feel miserable and envious of the skinny girls and moms who were able to deliver their baby a week or two early. Julie tried inducing labor once it was safe by eating things like Papaya, which Asian superstition said induces early labor. That of course didn't work. So finally, I remember driving home one night from the boys house, and seeing how miserable Julie was, I spoke to Terrence and told him he is allow to come out now instead of the 25th of March, the same birthday as Julie. I figured then I only have one birth date to remember and don't have to worry about doing anything nice for mom since I already gave her the best of gifts. (Hey, so a guy can wish and dream ya know) Later that night, Julie started the beginning of her pre-labor contractions and Terrence was born the next morning.

As for the "late again" comment. Mike has been wishing his Christmas wish and placing his hope on his little girl to come out before the New Year. My advice to you is to come up with the story of how you feel Jessica's angst and want to deliver her from that. Or that you want to really, really meet your new daughter. Those are all probably more acceptable than the story that you want her to arrive in 2007 so you can claim her as a tax deduction. hahahahah Good luck you two and let us know if you need anything. We hope that everything went/goes well and that Julie will get a call with good news soon. The first lesson that we dads learn about kids is that they often don't always do what we always want of them. Lesson learn for me and I suppose you as well. I can't wait to teach my kid a lesson about daddy's pain stick. ;)

No comments: