Thursday, May 13, 2010

Lab scans...

I like evaluating and comparing things. From equipment and gears to services and techniques. I recently sent the same film in to two pro labs. My "local" pro lab NCPS that I have been using in San Diego and mentioned in an earlier blog post against an LA lab name Richard Photo Lab (RPL).

Though NCPS did very well in the past, the scans from RPL simply looks better in every way. I may do a few more scans from each lab in the future to make sure that NCPS wasn't just having an off day, but consistency is something I find very important in a pro lab.

RPL on the left, NCPS on the right. FujiFilm Pro400H via a Canon EOS-1V. As always, you can click on the image to get a larger view.

1dce395a94
5d33d5cef5
c3e4e8907e
You can say that NCPS scans for both the highlight and shadow to be within a certain range as evident by the details in the skies still being retain. But I like to expose for the subject and in this photo, I exposed for Terrence's skin. Both digital and film can't capture a scene with the dynamic range of our human eyes, so the photographer has to make choices on what to expose for when shooting with natural light. I much prefer what RPL decide to scan for from the negative versus NCPS.
0735af9829

Here's a final comparision between film on the left, and a RAW processed digital file from my 5D on the right. Ignore the fact that the film capture is a better moment captured and that I didn't make this test scientific by any means. The differences in focal length and aperture used makes a difference in these two photos. But this example allows you to see how my digital processing has been refined as I revisit film and use that medium more and more. An advantage of digital is that it's file is so much more clean and noise free. But despite the evidence of grain, the film shot has so sharp details and a more natural gradation between shadow and highlight. Plus there is a vibrancy in the film file that would require additional fine processing in Photoshop for the digital file to compare. Film looks great once you receive it back and the lab did it's magic.

However, shooting any photos with kids at play, I definitely prefer the speed that digital allows.

4b619e0082

No comments: