Monday, November 24, 2008

Pho at 2AM

While Julie and the baby is sleeping, I went searching for some food. Found a Vietnamese restaurant in Hillcrest open till 3AM. Worth a try. Saigon on Fifth is probably the fanciest looking Vietnamese restaurant I've seen.



Check out the presentation of the traditional Vietnamese condiments. Nice.



Nice and romantic setting for one. :)



Here's the main entree. Rare steak Pho. Surprisingly, this is probably the best Pho broth of all the places I've visited in San Diego. Even at 2AM, the broth was clear and flavorly. No overuse of MSG like many other places. The wait staff even at this hour was pleasant and promptly took care of me. I wasn't expecting this. Even the restroom was clean and inviting. The Pho was about $9, which is to be expected. The portion isn't as hearty as a typical Pho restaurant. Despite these shortcoming, I would still recommend giving Saigon on Fifth a try.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Really? Saigon on 5th?! We live a few blocks from there and I've never considered it because it's so fancy. Plus the fact that the pho is more expensive.

Based on this review, we'll have to give it a try.